Living History Guide
Seasonal Full-Time (16 Weeks)
Living History Guide
Seasonal Full-Time - 16 weeks
May 1 - September 3, 2017
Any job with the word "guide" sounds like you might spend your time on an excursion into a wild and wonderful place, well... you will! We are hiring for a Living History Guide to wrangle the 4000+ students and their teachers who come to the museum every year for a tour and hands-on experience of our exhibitions, programs, and collections.
In this role, you will be the engaging, thoughtful, creative and dynamic history loving person who thinks about how much fun history can be with the right guide to make it come alive! We see this job as a starting point for someone who is cheerfully obsessed with the future of museum education. We are transforming our history gallery to become alive, a place that serves as a hub for dynamic civic engagement, identity building, reflection and ideas. Want to be a part of that change?
This job involves front like visitor experience, administrative management, the guiding of students, and group tours, as well as collaboration with a diverse group of museum volunteers and staff.
It would be great if you are bilingual (Optional). It would also be amazing if you like wearing costume, or period clothing!
- Candidates must have a real thirst for, and love history
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Post secondary experience in history, the humanities, education, drama, art history and natural history
- Knowledge or demonstrated interest in culture, art, Canadian heritage
- Excellent skills in English are required.
- French would be an asset.
Description of Tasks:
- Deliver guided tours of the Fort la Reine Museum's exhibitions and heritage homes
- Greet Museum visitors, reserve tours, process admissions, provide travel information
- Assist with the implementation of the Museum's events and travelling exhibits.
- Conduct independent research, reading on areas of history, and the Museum collections.
- Assist with the Museum's collections, archiving and cataloging of collections.
- Assist with general conservation and care of artifacts and the Museum's environment.
The work week will include weekends and holidays.
All candidates must be full-time current university, community college or high school students who will return to school in the fall of 2017. All successful candidates must be between the ages of 16 and 30 years of age. Own transportation is a must as the museum is located 4km East of Portage la Prairie city centre. We thank in advance all applicants and will contact those that are selected for an interview. *This position is pending secured funding. Please apply and forward your resume by email to:
Attn: Tracey Turner MA C.S.
Executive Director, Fort la Reine Museum
Box 744 Portage la Prairie MB. R1N 3C2